Saturday, September 20, 2008

Wow...today was full of stuff

I'm still trying to take it all in. What it started as was some of my friends from my classes asked me if I wanted to join them in a tour around parts of Suzhou with some Chinese students learning to speak English, and rather than the usual "no" that I might give after a long week of studying, I said yes. I'm in China, right? Have to try new stuff. So this morning, instead of sleeping in, I got up, got showered, and started the day by going to a beautiful (and by "beautiful", I mean gorgeous) garden. It was so pretty, and I forgot my bleedin' camera! Luckily, one of my friends said they didn't like to take photos so they let me borrow the camera...mwahahaha...

After that, we went to another portion of Suzhou where we first ate some food (which managed to squirt hot liquid at me not once, but twice! First time was my fault, second time was the fault of the person next to me...it was really funny. =] ), then went on a bit of a walk-around through some smaller shops and whatnot. It wasn't like the historic town we went to previously, but that was kind of nice.

Around 4, we returned to Suzhou University (I refuse to write "Soochow"...dangit, I just did!) where we got cooled off for a bit...before going out to go dancing! Unfortunately, the dancing was a bit of a bust: they merely presented the type of dancing we could do IF we signed up for the class. I still plan on going tomorrow, though; it's the first day of Salsa, and if I don't like it, it won't cost me a thing. I like things that don't cost me anything. =]

Finally, I helped one of the students studying English understand some of the finer points of Dead Poet's Society. Boy, that's hard to do in English, much less in Chinese...fortunately, I had one of my class friends there to bounce words off of and translate with. It all worked out, and it was good to do.

Now, I'm listening to Owen Pallet, enjoying his wonderful string compositions, and starting to relax before tomorrow. "What's tomorrow?" you might ask. Well, I'll have the answer for you after it all happens. Yes, I know: cliffhanger. But hey, if I ever want to be a successful screenwriter/novelist, I have to practice.

再见!
杜楷

1 comment:

Willow said...

Sounds like a very good day to me.. Only one thing can make that better in my opinion and your in a place that has an abundance of it... Tea!! <3