Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Strange Translation Thoughts

I've thought about this a lot while I've been in China. "This" being speaking Chinese. I still find it interesting that as I speak Chinese, I don't think of it directly as a "language", but rather, as a "code" of sorts. It's something that I have to decipher and figure out what the meaning is in English, even if it is just a rough interpretation. Even with nearly every person around me speaking this language, I still can't help but think in English. Does that make me worse at the language, not being able to get past this barrier? I know a lot of people do it, but do those who are fluent in other languages? I have no idea. Insights, por favor! Yes, I used Spanish. So what? If it bothers you that much, just say "fay-ver" in your mind's voice rather than "fa-vor". ;)

Also! A month and a half left! Almost there! I'll be so excited to see you all upon my return.

That's it for this very short update. I'm procrastinating on studying for midterms. Why? Because that's what I do. It's in my blood!...along with oxygen and other vital materials. But that's another subject.

再见,
杜楷

2 comments:

cs said...

Well as one procrastinator to another, I think that the fact you're thinking of Chinese as a code just means you're in the early stages of language acquisition. With enough time/effort at some point you'll just "get-it" w/out thinking about it. btw - I'm reading an interesting book about Joseph Needham (the guy who authored the 17 volume encyclopedia "Science and Civilization in China"). He started out as a bio-chemist but got sidetracked into what could safely be described as an obsession with China and Chinese! I meant to tell you a while back that Carol and I heard an "er-hu" (sp?) player in the SF Chinatown Bart exit. Talk to you later ! - Craig

Willow said...

I used to Dream in German