Monday, November 17, 2008

Homestretch

This is it. It is pretty much the last month I will be in China. I refuse to say "ever" because, well, who can tell what the future will hold?

I know that I'm ready to come home. I also know that I've been saying that since the beginning, which *does* make one question whether this whole trip has been worth it. Despite my reservations and whatnot, I'd say...yes, it has been worth it. I haven't done as much as I'd liked to have done, but you know what? "Que sera, sera." Words I live by every day of my life now. If I didn't do some stuff, then I wasn't supposed to do some stuff. I can only make peace with that and move on to the next stage.

So one last little note to all my followers out there. In all likelihood, I will probably buy people Christmas gifts here in China. Kinda the occupational hazard of being a student basically right up until Christmas Day. Problem is, I'm horrible at buying souvenirs for myself, much less for others. So if there's anything you think you want (no, I'm not buying a monkey for anyone, thanks for playing, good night), please let me know. It won't be much of a surprise, I admit, but again, I'm at a loss. Some people have said chopsticks. Others have said "meh, get me whatever." The first one is good, even if it isn't *that* special. I don't like "mehs", though. If you want something, people, something preferable feasible, let me know asapy. That's a word that I just made up...well, not really. If you don't let me know and you aren't immediate friends or family...you probably won't get anything. Sorry dolls, way of the world. Can't please everyone. I'll do my best, though. Just looking for some ideas. =)

Good news: I've done fairly well on all my midterms. Not perfect, mind you, but considering the material, the fact that I feel lost in class nearly every day, and, oh yeah, CHINESE, I'd say scores from the mid 70's to mid 80's is pretty good. Plus, I'm not too worried overall. When the person (who is a native English speaker as well) whom you think is probably one of the best students in the class gets around the same grade as you, you tend to feel, "okay, I'm not horrible at this at least...." Right?

Otherwise, this month is gonna go kinda slow, I think. The weather is cold, making it hard to want to go out a whole lot. After meeting up with Ally, I really wish I could just be traveling the world with her and her friends. And, oh yeah, my computer backlight is dying on me. I think I mentioned that before...if not, there you go. No more warranty, so now every cost will go to me. Wonderful.

I'll make it through, though. Got a lot to look forward to: music, family, friends, a good job (thank you IMAX for not being the CAC and letting me come back!), and home.

Home...I like the sound of that word.

Home.

Home home home.

Home.

Okay, I'm done, I swear!

...

Home.

再见!
杜楷

3 comments:

mrbloober said...

You should get me a cheap knock-off of something American that you find in some shady store for like a buck.

David Dukart said...

Haha, alright, I will get something like that for you. That sounds absolutely awful and awesome all at the same time.

Anonymous said...

Funny -- I always feel more "at home" when I'm travelling mainly because I don't have the responsibilities I have at home. I think that's why I love backpacking so much as that I always feel like I'm living in the moment -- or thinking about food! Your candor is admirable -- don't ever lose that. See you soon. Carol