Sunday, December 14, 2008

Post Xi'an, Pre-America

A few hours ago, I returned from my trip to Xi'an.

HOLY. MOLY.

What a city! I was only there for two days, but I did a lot. Within the first day, I made it to the Terracotta Warriors and not much else, but really, I got to see a lot of the inner city which was a treat. From the main streets, it looks like a lot of cities, from the bright lights and usual stores to the mass of people trying to get around on bikes, cars, and foot. A few things separate it from other areas, though. One is there seemed to be a law that forced all of the buildings within the city wall to be built with traditional Chinese roofs. I love Chinese architecture, so I loved that. Another is...there was a freaking city wall! How awesome is that!? (Pictures are to follow back in the states...I'm having some computer-to-camera problems at the moment) It surrounded the "downtown" area of Xi'an and was the first thing I saw upon exiting the train. Although not as awesome as the Great Wall (few things are...and yes, I use the true term of "awesome" meaning "awe-inspiring"), it still was a sight to see. Finally, once we escaped the main streets a little bit, there were a ton of little stores, streets, and other things. Xi'an also has an area known to English speakers as the "Muslim quarters", which is as the name implies. I don't know why there is such a concentration of Muslims in Xi'an (I haven't seen or heard of that happening elsewhere), but it was well worth looking at, especially the Great Mosque. I will have pictures of that later as well since I think words do not do it justice.

When we got out of the city limits a little bit, it was for one main reason: to see the sights. Yeah, a little touristy, but it was worth it. The Terracotta Army was amazing, as were the Little and Big Goose Pagodas (seen on the second and last day). I'm starting to run low on energy, so I can't give good descriptions right now. I'm not even sure I could with enormous amount of energy. There's just very little I can say about how they all were completely amazing and Chinese and worth every thing I spent on them.

It was a very small group that went this time, and as per usual, I tend to like that better. Leland (another SU student) and I were the only ones, but it really made the experience more enjoyable. We both didn't care where we ate or if we ate at the same places more than once, something my other friends sometimes have a problem with. We also both liked to move faster, so we got to see more, something I also enjoy. I don't mind taking my time when there is time to take...but there usually isn't. So we worked well together. :)

I have a few days left in China. Most of them will be spent packing, getting ready to leave, and in Shanghai right before I get on a plane at the Pudong Airport to head over to San Fran and then back up to Seattle. There's a Christmas party at a local bar that I plan on going to, but other than that, I might just wander the city of Suzhou a bit more. We'll see.

Oh, and by the way, a specific message: Kenna, it would be AWESOME if you helped me with the map. :)

Okay, I think I'm going to pass out. I haven't slept well for a couple of days (combination train rides and bad dreams), so I be very tired. There'll probably be one or two more posts after this, both right before and after I return to the States, but this is about it, folks. I'm very excited to see most of you very soon, and I hope you are to see me as well. I think I will also begin updating my other blog (jackjarden.blogspot.com) upon my return, so if you have enjoyed reading my nonsensical ramblings, please feel free to read that as well.

And again, pictures sometime in the near future. I promise.

Zaijian!
Du Kai