Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Thoughts before I leave Zhongguo

I have a day now before I'm officially leaving the country. As it is, I'd like to share with you some things that I've learned, mainly about myself.

- I'm very independent. In a country like China, that's very unusual, so it stood out more. Very rarely will people go out and even eat dinner if they do not go out with family and friends. I, however, dislike waiting around for other people and being a slave to their schedules. It was often awkward for me to do so when I went out, but again, I , so if no one else was ready to go out and eat, I went by myself. Same thing I've mentioned with trips. I just like doing things on my own terms. I'm patient to a degree, but after a while...grr. Of course, my mother would say that I've been like that for years, but it really stood out here. Even on my last day, I didn't want to go with the group. I like having my space and my own expectations.

- I'll be more ready to travel in the US. After traveling to Xi'an and Beijing and Shanghai, I feel confident that I could do similar exploits in the states. Granted, it would cost a lot more money than in China, so I'd have to budget it out more, but my point is, I could still do it. A benefit of doing it in the US would be I COULD UNDERSTAND THE SIGNS! Seriously, you don't know the luxury that is until it isn't there anymore....

- I'm worried about when I come back. There's a part of me that really wants everything to be the way it was before I left. Of course, not going to happen, but still...can't help what I want. I'm just worried that my expectations will be too...something, I'm not sure. I guess it's all just a part of the anxiety of returning.

- Culture shock: probably will happen upon my return. Never really happened here, but I have a feeling that coming back, I'll be shocked...culturally speaking, of course. ;) All kidding aside, I do think that my transition back to the States will be more difficult than that to China, especially in terms of money. It's been so easy to spend here, I'm amazed I didn't spend more than I have.

Alright, I think that's it for now. One more post when I return to the States. And if my count is correct, that post will be number 42...oh jeez, now all the "Hitchhiker's" fans are going to swarm out....

Zaijian!
Du Kai

No comments: